Irvin V. Cantor
Since 1979, Attorney Irv Cantor has been dedicated to the families of those who have suffered serious injuries or wrongful death. His work has resulted in more than 2,000 favorable verdicts and settlements for his clients, including more than 450 traumatic brain injury cases. He has recovered more than 50 verdicts and settlements larger than $1 million for injured men and women in Richmond and throughout Virginia and the U.S., securing their futures and their peace of mind for the rest of their lives.
Practice Areas: Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Spinal Cord Injuries, Medical Malpractice
Direct Office Line: (804) 343-4368
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a Richmond personal injury attorney, Irv’s primary goal is the well-being of his clients. His approach, his leadership over the firm of Cantor Grana Buckner Bucci, and his personal practice are all shaped by his relentless compassion for those who have been injured or bereaved due to negligence. There is nothing more important than making sure innocent injury victims receive financial compensation to rebuild their lives while holding those at fault responsible.
Irv has been recognized by his peers as one of the Top 10 Virginia Super Lawyers® every year from 2012-2018 and a Top 50 Richmond Area Super Lawyers® 2013 – 2021. He was one of only 33 members named in Virginia Lawyers Hall of Fame’s inaugural class in 2018. He was also voted Plaintiff Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year in Richmond by Best Lawyers in America® in 2014 and 2016, as well as Plaintiff Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year in 2020.
The vast majority of Irv’s cases are referrals from other trial lawyers. Many professionals in the field have asked Irv to represent them in their own injury cases, including attorneys, judges, claims adjusters, and physicians. He is a frequent lecturer throughout Virginia and the U.S. to other trial lawyers on numerous subjects, including traumatic brain injuries, truck accident cases, and elements of trial. He is the co-author with Judge Samuel Johnston of the book, The Art and Science of Mastering the Jury Trial.
Irv is the founder and President of Jury Impressions, a jury consulting company which, among other services, arranges mock trials and focus groups for trial lawyers throughout the country. Irv also serves as a mediator and arbitrator in a wide variety of cases dealing with catastrophic injuries and death.
Representing Victims of Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury cases comprise the largest portion of Irv’s practice. He has successfully handled brain injury cases for over 40years. He wrote the chapter dealing with legal aspects of brain injury cases for the seminal medical textbook on the subject, Brain Injury Medicine. Irv was featured on the cover of the 2015 Virginia and West Virginia Super Lawyers® magazine, with the cover story featuring Irv’s career in handling brain injury cases.
Meet Irv Cantor
In this hotly contested truck accident case, we
In this medical malpractice case, a 10 year-old
CGBB Attorneys, Stephanie Grana and Dascher Pasco, settled
This case involved a breach of the professional
Medical Malpractice The plaintiff, a 22 year old
Car Accidents The plaintiff, a 29-year-old, suffered a
Wrongful Death Plaintiff’s decedent, a 22-year-old college student,
Wrongful Death The plaintiffs were two men killed
Civil Rights This was a section 1983 civil
Truck Accidents Truck accident case, involving a mild
Truck Accidents The plaintiff, a 32-year-old man, suffered
Truck Accidents Plaintiff was a 44-year-old husband and
Medical Malpractice Motor vehicle collision/medical malpractice case, involving
Car Accidents Automobile accident, in which a woman
Wrongful Death Wrongful death case
Brain Injury In 2006, the plaintiff, a 13-year-old
- Virginia, 1978
- U.S. District Courts (Several)
- U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Cantor Grana Buckner Bucci, Founding Partner (2009-2022)
- CantorArkema, P.C., Founding Partner (1979-2009)
- Supreme Court of Virginia, Law Clerk (1978)
Irv was chosen by his peers as the Richmond Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America® for plaintiffs personal injury litigation in 2016 and 2014. Additionally, he was also recognized by Best Lawyers in America® in 2020 for Medical Malpractice. He has also been selected to Super Lawyers® Top 10 Virginia Lawyers for 7 years running from 2012 – 2018. His consistent professionalism and integrity have resulted in him receiving the highest possible grade from Martindale-Hubbell®, the legal rating service.
In addition to his awards, Irv is often asked to speak to fellow lawyers about his various areas of experience. These have included traumatic brain injuries, automobile accidents, premises liability, liability insurance, and trying a case effectively. Irv’s reputation in the legal community has also made him a leader in various organizations and associations.
He has served terms as the president for:
- The Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- The Brain Injury Association of Virginia
- The Virginia Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- The Virginia Trial Lawyers Foundation
- Virginia Lawyers Hall of Fame 2018
- Best Lawyers in America® “Richmond Medical Malpractice Law-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year” (2020)
- Best Lawyers in America® “Richmond Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year” (2014, 2016)
- Best Lawyers in America® for Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice (2007-present)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell® “Top Rated Lawyer” (2012)
- Virginia Super Lawyers® since 2006
- Named among Top 10 Virginia Super Lawyers® (2012-2018), Top 50 Richmond Area Super Lawyers® (2013 – 2021), Top 25 Richmond Area Super Lawyers® (2011), Top 50 Virginia Super Lawyers® (2006, 2009, 2011), and Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers® (2012 – 2021)
- “Legal Elite,” in the category of Civil Litigation, named by Virginia Business magazine
- Recipient, 2010 Weinstock Award from the Brain Injury Association of Virginia
- Honored as a “Leader in the Law” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly, for significant contributions to the legal profession and community at large (2010)
- Litigation Counsel of America – Charter Senior Fellow and Order of Centurions.
Virginia Lawyers Hall of Fame
Richmond Medical Malpractice Law-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year
Top 10 Virginia Super Lawyers®
Top Rated Lawyer
Legal Elite - Civil Litigation
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Top 50 Richmond Area Super Lawyers®
President and Award Recipient
Super Lawyer for 15 Years
Attention patients of Henrico chiropractor, Dr. Aaron Winston.
The Virginia Board of Medicine suspended Dr. Winston’s license on March 30, 2023, after receiving sexually-charged allegations from multiple patients. If you’ve been harmed by
May Is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month
It’s no coincidence that you start to notice more motorcycles on the roads around this time of year. The weather is finally warming up and
Virginia Lawyers Weekly Million Dollar Settlements of 2022
We would like to congratulate all the hardworking attorneys who were listed in Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s Million-Dollar Settlements of 2022. Out of the 48 settlements,
Author, The Art and Science of Mastering the Jury Trial
Irv Cantor literally wrote the book on how to handle a jury trial. He and Judge Samuel Johnson Co-Authored the book, “The Art and Science of Mastering the Jury Trial“. This book is designed to assist the trial lawyer in preparing for a jury trial, trying a case before a jury, and the actions that need to be taken post-trial
This book is as much a “how not to” as it is a “how to” guide through the labyrinth known as a “jury trial.” Read more and/or purchase.
- “The Brain Behind Brain Injuries,” Super Lawyers® Virginia and West Virginia Magazine 2015
- “The Art and Science of Mastering the Jury Trial,” Co-authored with Judge Samuel Johnston, VTLA Publishing
- “Cantor Wins 2010 BIAV Weinstock Award,” BIAV Newsletter, Summer 2010
- VTLA Journal, Volume 19, Number 3 2007; the joy and satisfaction of a trial lawyer representing persons who have suffered traumatic brain injuries
- Brain Injury Medicine, Demos Medical Publishing; Chapter 62, “Medicolegal Aspects of TBI”, 2006
- Brain Injury Association of Virginia; winter newsletter
- “MedicoLegal Aspects of Severe Traumatic Brain Injury,” VTLA Journal, Winter 2003-2004
- “How To Use A SPECT Scan In The Trial Of A Traumatic Brain Injury Case,” VTLA Journal, Summer 1998
- “Use of Demonstrative Evidence In The Trial Of A Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Case,” VTLA Journal, Spring 1995
- “Handling an Automobile Negligence Case in Virginia,” Chapters 3, 4, 5 and 10, West Publishing, 2000
- “Insurance Coverage for Automobile Injury Cases,” VTLA Journal, Volume II, No. 4, Fall 1990
- Civil Conspiracy and the Hospital Staff Controversy, Legal Aspects of Medical Practice, 1979
Reach out directly to our attorneys at The Virginia Trial Firm Today.