Elliott M Buckner
Elliott represents clients in every kind of personal injury claim, including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, tractor-trailer crashes, car collisions, and product liability cases. He also handles wrongful death claims on behalf of families who have experienced loss due to negligence. He is passionately committed to his clients and their cases, and he recognizes the responsibility and role he has in helping them rebuild their lives after a tragedy.
No matter the situation, Elliott works tirelessly to help ensure his clients receive the support and compensation they deserve. He has secured more than 45 verdicts and settlements larger than $1 million, changing the lives of his clients and their family members. His reputation as a fierce advocate for his clients in and out of the courtroom allows him to demand rightful compensation more effectively.
Part of what makes Elliott such an effective attorney for individuals and families is his experience as an insurance defense attorney. When Elliott first started practicing law, he stood on the other side of the court from injury victims, building cases to protect insurance companies from liability. It didn’t take long for him to realize that he would much rather help individuals and families get justice than protect the pockets of insurance companies. That experience, though, gave Elliott invaluable knowledge and insight into how insurance companies and their lawyers defend cases. As a result, Elliott brings strategic power to every case he is involved in.
Elliott is widely recognized by his peers for his relentless and effective approach to litigation. He has consistently been named to the list of Best Lawyers in America® as well as Richmond Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year for 2021, is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, and included in the list of “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business magazine. He has also been annually selected by other lawyers to the Virginia Super Lawyers® list since 2007, including recognition as one of the Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers® and Top 50 Richmond Super Lawyers® nine years running. Other lawyers regularly entrust their complex, catastrophic injury cases to Elliott, and he considers their confidence the highest professional compliment he can receive.
In addition to his trial work, Elliott often contributes to the legal community through lectures, articles, and presentations to other lawyers about all aspects of handling complex personal injury and wrongful death cases. In 2020, Elliott was honored to serve as the President of the 2000+ member Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
While Elliott is passionate about the work he does every day for his clients, he is also passionate about his community. He serves on the Board of Directors of Community Brain Injury Services and has helped raise over $100,000 for the organization as the pit master for their annual charity BBQ.
Elliott has been blessed with an amazing wife, Joelle, and two really incredible kids, Oliver and Abby. They live in Midlothian with their three dogs, Finnley (Yellow Lab), Sadie (British Cream Retriever) and Stella (Boykin Spaniel).
Meet Elliott Buckner
- J.D., College of William and Mary; Moot Court – ABA National Moot Court Champion, Order of the Barristers
- B.B.A., University of Richmond
- New York
- Virginia Supreme Court
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Cantor Stoneburner Ford Grana & Buckner, Partner (operated with Breit, Drescher & Imprevento as Cantor Grana Buckner Bucci2019 -2021)
- Cantor Arkema, P.C., Partner (2002-2009)
- Harman Claytor Corrigan & Wellman, Associate (2000-2002)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America® “Richmond Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year” (2021)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell® Top Rated Lawyer (2012)
- Best Lawyers in America®, in the category of Personal Injury Litigation (2011-present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers® (2012-2021)
- Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers® (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Top 50 Richmond Area Super Lawyers® (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Virginia Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list (2007-2011)
- “Legal Elite – Civil Litigation,” Virginia Business magazine (2013, 2015)
- “Legal Elite – Young Lawyer,” Virginia Business magazine (2005-2006, 2008, 2010)
- American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Winner (2000)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- President (2020)
- President-Elect (2019)
- Vice President (2015-2018)
- Treasurer (2014)
- Legislative Chair (2012, 2013, 2015)
- Brain Injury Association of America, National Legal Conference Co-Chair
- American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- Lewis F. Powell Inn of Court
- City of Richmond Bar Association
- Henrico Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
Lawyer of the Year - Personal Injury Litigation
Best Lawyers in America®
Legal Elite – Civil Litigation
Top Rated Lawyer
Top 50 Richmond Area Super Lawyers®
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers®
Super Lawyers® for 10 Years
Highlight Reel – Trucking Injury FAQ’s
Who Is At Fault?
Do You Need A Lawyer In a Truck Accident?
What To Do At The Scene of a Trucking Accident
The Most Common Causes of Trucking Accidents
Who Is Responsible in a Truck Accident?
After A Truck Accident
What Makes Trucking Accidents Dangerous?
with Truck Accidents
It’s that time of year again when Daylights Savings ends, and we “fall back” and gain an hour of sleep. While gaining an hour of
CGBB partner Stephanie Grana is included in the law category of the 2022 Virginia Business Power 500, a “who’s who” of Virginia’s most powerful and
All Five Partners in the Law Firm of Cantor Grana Buckner Bucci Named to the 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
Founded in 1981, Best Lawyers is a purely peer-reviewed legal accolade based on the unbiased opinions of other lawyers. The comprehensive balloting process assures honorees
Publications & Presentations
- VTLA 2019 Tort Law Seminar, Navigating Sovereign Immunity, May 15, 2019
- “Handling Personal Injury Cases,” Virginia State Bar ‘First Day in Practice’ annual seminar (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- “After the Winning Verdict,” Virginia CLE (2015 and 2019)
- “Legislative Update,” VTLA Annual Convention (2015, 2017)
- “What Keeps Plaintiffs Lawyers Awake at Night,” Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys Annual Conference (2015)
- “Medpay,” VTLA Sources of Coverage (2014)
- “Tort Law Update,” VTLA Annual Paralegal Seminar (2013)
- “Pointers and Pitfalls of the Settlement Agreement and Release,” VTLA Annual Convention (2011)
- “How to Use and Disclose Medical Literature,” VTLA Advanced Auto Retreat (2010)
- “Small Firm David Socks Insurer Goliath in PI Cases,” 4th Annual Solo & Small Firm Institute, Virginia CLE (2009)
- “Preparing the Client for Depositions,” American Association of Justice Annual Conference (2009)
- “Initial Case Management and Intake,” National Business Institute Paralegal Seminar (2008)
- “Defeating Colossus, 2nd Annual Solo & Small Firm Institute,” Virginia CLE (2007)
- “Assisting with Settlement Negotiations,” National Business Institute Paralegal Seminar (2007)
Reach out directly to our attorneys at The Virginia Trial Firm Today.